Monday, September 26, 2016

16 Bean & Sausage Stew


Follow me for more great Vegan Ideas: Facebook    Pinterest    Instagram

I LOVE crock pot meals for the Fall. Start it before work and come home to a finished stew. That's as easy as it gets! This was an idea I had when I noticed a bag of dried beans called "16 bean soup". I checked the label, it was vegan ( you never know, so always read the label!). Now I had something new to prepare and I was already thinking up ideas. The classic combination of sausage and beans was the route I decided to take with this bag of beans. I bought some fresh kale, carrots, a few potatoes and some Tofurky Italian sausage. 

Just had to soak my beans overnight, rinse well and remove "debris" before starting my stew idea. I woke up today and put my beans, potatoes and carrots on while I was making lunches for the kids. Covered my beans and veggies with salted water. Turned my crock pot on to low and left it cooking while I worked today. With about 10 mins work, I had dinner ready!



Recipe:

1 ( 20 0z) bag of dried 16 bean soup mix
water
salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
1 ( 14 oz.) package Tofurky Italian Sausage, cut into bite sized pieces.*
2-3 potatoes, cubed
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 bunch kale, sliced into ribbons
olive oil
red pepper flakes (optional)

Method:

The night before: Rinse beans well. Remove and debris. Cover dry beans completely plus about 2" of water. Cover beans tightly and allow to soak over night.

The next morning: Drain water from beans and rinse well. Pour beans into your crock pot. Cover with enough water to fill crock pot half way. Add salt, pepper, cumin, potatoes, carrots, and red pepper flake.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

When you come home: Cook your Tofurky Italian Sausage* and kale in a little olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until kale is wilted and Tofurky is slightly brown.

Pour Sausage and kale into beans soup. Taste. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. Serve with crusty bread or cornbread for a delicious country style meal.

Makes 6 - 8 servings.

* If you can not find Tofurky, any Vegan sausage or seitan will work. You can also use mushrooms as a substitute if you don't use vegan proteins.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds good - just one thing which is that dried beans should be boiled for at least 10 mins to remove certain toxins before going in the sc - you can get pretty ill without ( especially
    If it contains kidney beans )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! The slow cooker is a great tool for freeing up time to do other things.

    ReplyDelete