Merry Christmas. This year we have new vegans (yay!!), those limiting their meat intake (yay too!), a baby (!), and my daughter, who has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. So.. I had to prepare a complete vegan & gluten free breakfast for Christmas brunch. Challenge accepted!
I probably was great entertainment for the staff at our local Harris Teeter. I walked back and forth through the store, looking at Pinterest (my saving grace most night!), searching for ingredients, and coming up with a plan to make tge best vegan & gluten free breakfast for my family - one that even the picky ones would eat & enjoy (no pressure 😂).
This was the filling, crowd pleasing recipe I can up with to make everyone happy. My entire meal plan is in the footnotes, if you want to know how to make a gluten free & vegan brunch fir your family.
2 bags frozen tater tots
8 oz. Sliced mushrooms, chopped
8 oz. Kale, chopped & de -stemed
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1/4 cup vegetarian chick'n broth (or veggie broth)
1 tsp. Onion power
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper
1 recipe Easy 5 minute vegan cheese sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Pour tater tots into a greased 11x13 pan.
3. Toss tater tots into a little olive oil and paprika.
4. Bake about 20 minutes, until tater tots are brown.
5. While tater tots are cooking, make your cheezy sauce (see recipe link above).
6. Once cheese sauce is ready, start your vegetables.
7. Steam your chopped mushrooms and kale in the vegetarian chick'n broth, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
8. Cover & steam over medium heat until softened.
9. Remove tater tots from the oven.
10. Top tater tots with kale/ mushrooms and the cheeze sauce.
11. Toss lightly to mix all ingredients.
12. Bake 30 - 40 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
* Entire vegan & gluten free breakfast plan:
2. Vegetarian baked beans
3. Southern style grits
4. Cheezy Tater Tot Casserole
5. Olive platter
6. Fruit roasted with pecans