Saturday, October 1, 2016

Kale & Almond Pesto Pasta

Follow me for more great vegan ideas: 

The other day, my dear friend, Jennifer, gave me the last of her basil for the year. I wanted to  make a dish worthy of such a lovely gift. This is not you "normal" pesto with pine nuts. Pine nuts are very expensive & this blog is all about affordable family meals. I did a little experiment tonight & it turned out delicious!! I used sliced almonds  ($2 a bag vs. $13 for pine nuts). I added kale, fresh lemon juice and nutritional yeast for a nutritional blast of flavor and tossed in some fresh, colorful cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives. This was truly amazing and easy to make. It only took 20 minutes tonight for dinner!


Recipe:

3 cups fresh basil
1 cup fresh kale
1/3 cup nutritional yeast 
1/2 cup sliced almonds 
5 cloves garlic, crushed 
2/3 cup olive oil *
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 
2 tsp. salt
1 box of pasta**
3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved 
1 cup kalamata olives 

Method:

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain well. 

While pasta cooks, combine basil, kale, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, almonds and olive oil in a food processor on high. Process until smooth.

Toss pesto, tomatoes and olives with prepared pasta and serve.

Makes 4 - 5 servings. 

* You can use an avocado if you are oil free. 
** Use gluten-free pasta if you are gluten-free

3 comments:

  1. This dish looks AMAZING!I knew you'd started a blog but with everything going on I've never had a chance to check it out! Youve just scored your very own folder in my bookmarks! YYAAYY! Way to go Christi!! This weight loss things might be as impossible as I thought! Keep up the great work! If you need ideas, or help, let me know! I'm always finding different recipes to try! So proud of you ladybug! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon the name...dunno how to change it... I'm just plain ol Christi Callahan! ;)

    ReplyDelete