Saturday, March 14, 2015

Sriracha Black Bean Burger


Follow me for more great Vegan ideas:  Facebook   Pinterest    Twitter    Instagram

My husband just asked for a Veggie Burger, but we were out of the premade, frozen, ones in the freezer. It looks like it's time I make my first veggie burger as a Vegan. I have to admit, this was a little intimidating. I had never even read a recipe for veggie burgers, because the frozen ones were so convenient. Time to search the pantry and refrigerator for ideas.

I have black beans, oats, some random veggies, nutritional yeast, avocados, & my husbands favorite ingredient, sriracha. Let the games begin! I just started by slicing my veggies, smashing my beans, tasting, adjusting and experimenting. A few beers later, we had a black bean burger that was so much better than the frozen ones I had been living off lately!!

Looking for more Vegan recipes? Try my  Cuban Black Bean & Plantain Bowl,  Kale Stuffed Eggplant Parm,  Chipolte Mac-N-Cheeze with Smokey Lentils,  Vegan Cabbage Rolls,  Creamy Jackfruit Casserole & Vegan Philly & Cheeze
Sriracha Black Bean Burgers:

1/2 cup of corn
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
1/2 cup finely diced poblano pepper
2 cups spinach, finely chopped
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Paprika
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed.
2 Tbsp. ground Flax seed
2-3 Tbsp sriracha
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup Quaker oats
6 burger buns
Avocado, vegan cheese, Sriracha or your other favorite toppings  (optional)

METHOD :

Sautée corn, pobalano pepper, onion, red pepper, & spinach, over medium high heat until slightly charred.

Add cumin, paprika, garlic, & soy sauce and cook for an additional minute.

Remove from heat.

In a mixing bowl, smash black beans until smooth.

Add  cooked veggies, nutritional yeast, oats, flax seed, salt and pepper to black beans and mix well.

Form black bean mixture into patties.

To prepare: ( 2 methods)

1. Fried 

Place patties on a plate lined with wax paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.

Fry burgers in a little oil over medium heat until a crispy crust forms, about 10 minutes on each side.

2. To bake

Preheat over to 425.

Place burgers on a non stick baking sheet.

Bake about 30 minutes, turning once around 20 mins ( top with cheese at this point, if you are using it).


Makes 6 -8 burgers. 



2 comments: