Monday, June 1, 2015

Cheesy Cuban Black Bean & Plantain Bowl



I wanted plantains. I wanted spicy. I wanted black beans and rice. I had fresh peppers in my garden. I had an avocado in the refrigerator. I have a batch of my cheese sauce ready. Sounds like the perfect set up for a rice bowl with lots of flavor! No real introduction today because the family is ready to eat this lovely dish.

Cheesy Cuban Bowl:

2 plantains, peeled and sliced into strips
chili powder (optional)
Oil to pan fry
1 1/2 cup of rice
1/2 cup salsa Verde
1 tsp turmeric
2 cups water
1 med. onion thinly sliced
1 fresh jalapeño, chopped
1 fresh red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup corn
2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained& rinsed
1 large avocado, peeled & chopped
1 recipe Lazy Vegan Beer Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste 

Prepare your rice with the turmeric, salsa Verde and water.

Heat oil over medium heat. Toss plantains in pan and fry until browned on both sides, about 12 minutes.

Sprinkle plantains with chili powder whole still hot. Allow to cool on a paper towel.

You can reuse the pan you just used for your plantains to sautée your onions, peppers, and corn. Cook until browned over medium heat. 

Layer rice, black beans, peppers & onions, fried plantains & avocados. Top with vegan cheese sauce.

makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment