Friday, March 6, 2015

The Journey Begins



The Journey Begins

Welcome to my journey as a Vegan!! You have to know where I started, to understand where I'm headed. Let me share a little bit about myself... I grew up watching my Grandparents cook traditional, southern "soul food". There was always good smells coming from the kitchen and lots of adventures to be had on their farm. As is the tradition here in NC, all our veggies were cooked in ham, macaroni and cheese was a food group, chicken was fired or coated in Duke's mayo, biscuits were served with every meal, gravy topped everything, a meal wasn't complete without a slice of cake or pie and an ice cold Cheerwine or Extra Sweet Tea to wash it all down. Food was a big part of all family events. My cousin made the best chicken casserole with sour cream added to the sauce and buttery cracker topping. My Grandmother made the best chicken in dumplings with collard greens cooked in fat back (pork). My mom made the best pound cake. Huge Potluck meals where everyone cooked their best deserts and casseroles where also a big deal at church. Everything here revolved around "soul food". This is life in the South. When I had my 4 kids, we continued these traditions.

These traditions probably lead to all the issues I would face as an adult. I developed gestational diabetes with my pregnancies. It cleared up each time after I delivered. I wouldn't think twice about it once my babies arrived. It was a warning that I was ignoring and wouldn't be my only health problem. I found out when I was 21 that I had a heart arrhythmia. My heart rate was so fast, I couldn't exercise or even walk up a flight of steps without getting winded. I struggled with my last 2 pregnancies because of my heart. I needed medication and a cardiologist supervising my heart via portable heart monitor 24 hrs a day. I was on a medication that dropped my blood pressure so low, I could hardly stay conscious. After the babies arrived, I would go back to my same habits. I just accepted that this was how my life was going to be lived. I would be tired and worry about my heart quietly.That's what moms do, right?

About 2.5 years ago, I went vegetarian after discovering Yoga.Yoga was something I COULD do for my health. I felt STRONG for the first time in years. It was addicting! I was excited to wake up each morning just to do my Yoga. I knew my heart was healing & it was like I was given a new life. I was officially cleared by my cardiologist a little over a year ago. He said " Whatever you are doing has worked!" I had healed myself and I refuse to ever be sick again!

If being vegetarian and doing Yoga did all this for me, why would I change? It's simple. The more I educated myself, the more I was convinced that going Vegan was the best decision I could make for my life. My journey lead me to Veganism because I am a huge animal lover. Going Vegan was good for my soul. I look into my dog's eyes or other living creatures eyes, and I see a soul. I came to a truth I couldn't deny- ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS. All living things deserve to live a happy life! After crying through multiple documentaries ( *Please watch "Earthlings", "Vegucated", and "Forks Over Knives", "Cowspiracy", and "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"*) and watching the horrifying conditions dairy cows and egg laying chickens suffer, I couldn't make any other choice. It was weighing on my heart. I had to make a change, I had to do my part. This is when my Vegan journey began. It was all out of love. Love for my body, love for the animals and love for this planet.

My goal here is to share my journey with other Vegans, new and old & those who are "Vegan-curious". Everyone is accepted here, just like in my own home.We love sharing Vegan food with our non-vegan friends. I will be sharing recipes that the entire family will enjoy together. I have a few that are "family favorites" that we have successfully "veganize" and a few new inventions. Going Vegan rekindled my love for cooking. It was like learning to cook all over again. I loved trying new flavors, ethnic foods, and recipes. Anything you ate before, can be made Vegan with easy substitutions! It really is easy to Go Vegan, so what are you waiting for? Start your journey today!


That's just a little bit about me, hope you enjoy the journey :)

Below are a few links that I want to share with all the NEWBIES:

If you have a Pinterest Account, I post all kinds of Vegan recipes, nutrition information, and vegan memes - Follow me on Pinterest . I also have a full board full of How To Go Vegan


I also have a Facebook page dedicated to all things Vegan food - Christi's Vegan Life

If you like Vegan food pictures, Follow me on Instagram

** The picture above is of my local park. This is one of my favorite places to walk, feed ducks, and meditate on life. Just wanted to share "my place" with you***

No comments:

Post a Comment