Monday, July 11, 2016

Oven Baked Cactus Tacos



Last week my boss retired and we through a big party at work. My boss is a spicy foods enthusiast, so we had a lot of spicy foods at the party. One dish really excited me at the party. The dish was made from cactus. Cactus is something I have never had the pleasure of trying before the party. I asked around and found out a coworker had made this dish. I wanted to know more, so I  sat down with her and found out what was in the "cactus salsa". After trying the cactus dish, I immediately went to the store and purchased nopalitos  (cactus) to use in a meal this week...  and this was what I came up with:

Recipe:
1 package of Gardein beefless crumbles 
2 Tbsp. Chipotle peppers 
1 medium onion, diced 
1 (15 oz) can pintos, drained and rinsed 
1 tsp. Cumin 
1 tsp. Paprika 
1 cup chopped pickled nopalitos 
Olive oil 
1 cup Daiya pepper jack cheese 
8-10 taco shells
Fresh spinach and salsa to serve 

Method:

Preheat oven to 400°

Cook Gardein beefless crumbles with Chipotle peppers, onions, nopalitos, pintos, cumin, and paprika in olive oil over medium heat for about 8 minutes. 

Layer taco shells with Daiya pepper jack cheese, Gardein beefless crumbles, and top with vegan beer cheese sauce. 

Bake tacos in the oven about 15 minutes until browned. 

Top with fresh spinach to serve.

Makes 8-10 tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment