Sunday, August 16, 2015

Cabbage and Bean Soup





Follow Me :   Facebook    Pinterest     Twitter     Instagram

This recipe has been a family favorite since I was pregnant with my oldest child, who is now almost 21. I craved this soup every day. I had to learn to make it or I would go broke eating at the local restaurant which served it along with garlic cheddar biscuits. (Recipe for the veganized biscuits can be found Here) This had to be veganized because it was an important part of our family's history.

This soup is easy to make & inexpensive to feed a crowd. That was a must raising 4 children. I would not post it until I got the seal of approval from my husband that it was good enough to be called "Cabbage and Bean Soup" and published. I hope this soup will keep you warm in the coming Fall months and become a family favorite in your home.

Looking for more vegan recipes?  Try my Award Winning ChiliVegan Comfort SoupCheezy Butternut MacaroniBBQ Tempeh over Southwestern Cauliflower "Rice"


Recipe:

1 (12 oz.) bag of veggie crumbles (vegan hamburger) *
Olive oil
1 Tbsp. cumin
1/4 -1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional, but recommend)
2 (32 oz.) Mushroom broth**
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. smokey paprika
2 (15 oz.) Red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 small cabbage, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:

1. In a stock pot, brown veggie crumbles over medium heat with a little olive oil until browned.

2. Add Mushroom broth, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin, garlic powder,  onion powder, beans, cabbage to your pot. Add salt & pepper to taste.

3. Cover and cook about 30 mins until cabbage is softened.

Serve with vegan garlic cheddar biscuits or vegan cornbread for a hearty meal.

Makes 6 -8 servings.

* you can use 8 oz. Finely chopped mushrooms if you don't want to use "fake meat".

** vegetable broth will work fine if you can't find mushroom broth.

3 comments:

  1. This was awesome! I added a couple bullion cubes and some nooch. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is truly one of our family's favorite meals! I love hearing others enjoy our famiky recipes 😊

      Delete